Friday 20 December 2013

THE DEAD THING

Checking the paint job of The Dead Thing on the set.
For more photos visit the PRODUCTION tab.
My initial plan for this character was for a brown and yellow colour palette but as I started painting I found myself thinking of HP Lovecraft and the various depictions of the great cosmic entity Cthulhu. This and the poster art from The She-Creature (1956) eventually led to the green and (blood) red colour scheme that I settled on. For a puppet that will see limited screen time, I spent a great deal of time layering the paint job, adding subtle detail to the scales and accentuating the shadow areas. On the set and under the coloured lights, I find the final appearance very appealing. After the family oriented production that was The Lady of Names, I am enjoying this darker material.

No comments:

Post a Comment