Saturday 18 January 2014

THE WINDOW TO THE SOUL

Pulling a performance from just a head has proven to be an interesting challenge. Animation for the most part relies on exaggerated poses and grand gestures. A good voice performance can help but without solid, focused animation the character will never come to life for an audience. Which brings me to Leith. Her only moving parts are her eyes, mouth and neck, which doesn't leave me many options when I step up to the animation table. I haven't even given myself the benefit of eyelids. No blinking. I have found myself in front of a mirror on many occasions, bobbing my head and darting my eyes from side to side, trying to shape her performance. Animators like to keep things moving but with Leith I have had to discipline myself to keep things very still and subtle. All this has lead to, what I believe to be, some of the most natural looking animation I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment